Social Justice Learning Institute
(SJLI) Academic Support Tutor
Location: South Los Angeles Position: Academic Support Tutor
Commitment: September 2016 – June 2017, various times, up to 10 hours a week
Start Date: Now End Date: June 2017 Application Deadline: Until Filled
Overview: At the Social Justice Learning Institute, we are dedicated to improving the education, health, and well-being of youth of color by empowering them to take hold of their educational future using research as a tool for community and social change. We train students to conduct research on problems in their community using a rigorous yearlong curriculum while providing basic academic support (i.e., tutoring, homework assistance, academic counseling, etc.) and college preparatory education. Our youth learn what it takes to achieve academically in order to go to college and become civically engaged, solution oriented and critical participants in the democratic experience. We envision an educational system where youth become engaged citizens who discover their best talents and apply them to help improve the world they live within.
SJLI is seeking tutors for youth in grades 9-12 in 4 subjects: English, Math (up to Calculus), Science (biology, physics and chemistry) and Spanish (up to Level 3). Potential applicants do not have to excel in all four disciplines, but must in at least one. Tutors will start working now and will need to commit to work through the end of the academic school year, at the end of June.
Academic Support Tutor
Reports to: Educational Equity Program Manager
Academic Support Tutor provides assistance to students in targeted subject areas via individual and group tutoring sessions and academic counseling.
- Provide tutoring to student(s) in an assigned discipline.
- Offer assistance with the development of student study strategies.
- Work with the student to develop a tutoring plan that fits the student’s individual needs.
- Prepare tutoring sessions to ensure the student’s academic development.
- Assess the student’s progress throughout tutoring sessions.
- Participate in tutor training and development sessions.
- Support students through the college application process including application support, financial aid application support, scholarship applications, etc.
- Completes required documentation and reports in a timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Must have successfully completed the course for which tutoring services are being provided or a higher level course in that subject.
- Must have a strong knowledge of A-G requirements, the CSU, UC, and Common application processes and the FAFSA.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills to effectively communicate study strategies to ensure academic success
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and be able to work comfortably with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Must demonstrate good organizational skills.
- Must be able to exhibit patience and a positive attitude to facilitate an encouraging learning environment.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including various days and times up to approximately 10 hours a week.
- Must have reliable transportation and be able to arrive to scheduled tutoring sessions on time.
- Bilingual a plus (English and Spanish)
- In pursuit of college degree or already obtained a bachelor’s degree. Graduate students preferred.
Schedule: Various times, up to 10 hours a week
Location: Los Angeles area
Salary: $15 an hour
Please mail/e-mail/fax resume with cover letter to: 600 Centinela Avenue, Inglewood, CA 90302. Fax: 310-935-4765. To apply via email, email Molly Katz at mkatz [at] sjli [hyphen] cp [dot] org with the subject line: Academic Support Tutor Position. For more information about this position please call 323.952.7363.